Cotter High School and Junior High School have a long tradition of outstanding instrumental music ensembles. Each year the bands receive many awards and accolades for their performances. There are several ensembles that students may participate in and all students are welcome and encouraged to participate in the band program.
- Junior High Band
- Symphonic Band & Ensembles
- Marching Band
- Calendar of Events
- Band Boosters
The Cotter Junior High Band program consists of three ensembles: Concert Band, Marching Band, and Jazz Band. These groups may be found performing year round throughout Winona and as far away as the Twin Cities. In our ensemble classes, students not only learn how to play their instruments and read music, but learn the value of music in our world, how to work as a team, become critical thinkers and listeners, and how to make independent musical decisions. Our ensembles are open to students of all ability levels, whether they have never played an instrument before to those who have been reading music for years. All students receive weekly lessons on their instrument to provide an extra musical challenge, as well as to develop skills in areas that are needed.
Cotter High School Bands
Symphonic Band is for students in grades 9-12. Each student receives one credit and each class meets 4 days/week for a full period. The bands perform at many concerts and events during the year. All performances are mandatory and each student is encouraged to participate in the Sub-Section Solo and Ensemble Contests.
Membership in jazz ensemble is by audition. The group meets two to three days a week in the morning before school. Students receive a ¼ of a credit and a grade for the ensemble. Attendance at rehearsals is mandatory. The ensemble performs at several concerts and festivals during the year and attendance at the performances are also mandatory.
Jazz combos are available to any Cotter High School student. The combos meet in the mornings before school. The day of rehearsal depends on which combo the student is in. Combos are an extra-curricular activity, however, all members are expected to participate in all scheduled performances. The combos perform several times during the year usually in conjunction with the jazz ensemble performances.
The pep band is comprised of all students in the Symphonic band. The pep band plays for football and basketball (boys and girls) games during the year. While all performances are required, any band member who is a member of the team for which the pep band is playing would be excused from that performance.
Cotter students participate in several area honor bands during the school year. Membership in an honor band is by recommendation of the band director and being accepted by the organization that sponsors each band.
The parade marching unit is a highly recommended extra-curricular organization that practices and performs during the months of June and early July. The band performs in several competitive parades and takes an out-of-state trip each summer. Recent destinations have included Colorado, St. Louis, Chicago, Michigan and Calgary, Canada.
Fall 2017 schedule
- August 9-10: Ashley for Arts rehearsals- times TBD
- August 11/12: Ashley for the Arts
- August 14-18: Rehearsals 9:45-noon
- August 20: Goodview Days Parade
- August 21-Oct 13: Morning Field Show Rehearsals (7:30-8:30)
- August 26: State Fair Parade
- October 13: Homecoming Field Show/ JH Pep Band Step-Up Night
- Lake Crystal- 1st- 66.0
- Owatonna- 2nd- 67.6, Best Hornline, Best Marching
- Waconia- 2nd- 68.6
- Sauk Rapids- 2nd- 74.9
- St. Cloud- 3rd- 70.9
- Alexandria- 2nd- 73.3, Best Percussion
- Calgary- 1st, Grand Champion- 89.5, Best Senior Band, Best Colorguard
High School Recordings
- The Witching Hour- Randall Standridge
- Trombone King- Karl King
- ...Go- Samuel Hazo
- In Endless Song- Randall Standridge
- First Suite in Eb- Gustav Holst
- American Overture for Band- Joseph Willcox Jenkins
Junior High Recordings
Pep Band Calendar
Underlined events are required performance dates- one may be missed throughout year
- Friday, September 15 at WSU- 7pm
- Friday, September 29 at Paul Giel- 7pm
- Friday, Oct. 13 at WSU- 7pm (Homecoming)
- Dig Pink- TBA
- Tuesday, November 28- 7:30 Girls (Play at 7)
- Tuesday, December 12- 7:30 Boys (Play at 7)
- Tuesday, January 9- 7:30 Boys (Play at 7)
- Tuesday, January 16- 7:30 Boys (Play at 7)
- Tuesday, January 30- 7:30 Girls (Play at 7)
- Tuesday, February 13- 7:30 Boys (Play at 7)
- Sub-Section Playoffs (Performances in Rochester)
- Thursday, February 22- Girls Quarter-Finals
- Monday, February 26- Girls Semi-Finals
- Thursday, March 1- Boys Quarter-Finals
- Saturday, March 3- Girls Finals
- Monday, March 5- Boys Semi-Finals
- Saturday, March 10- Boys Finals
The Band Boosters offer various fundraisers throughout the school year to support the costs of the Marching Band program. Students can earn credit toward the cost of the summer band trip through individual sales. Group fundraising events will support the program as a whole and are used for uniforms, equipment, and to help offset trip expenses. We greatly encourage you to attend our meetings, and make your opinion heard! Meetings are held the first Monday of the month at 6:30 pm, in the "Combo room" by Mr. Meurer's office- 2nd floor St. Cecilia Theatre. See you there!
Fundraisers for 2017-2018
- Steamboat Days Chicken Q - June 18, 2017 (Chairs - Kim and Barry McRaith)
- Ashley for the Arts - August 10-12, 2017 (Chair - Peggy Duellman)
- Lincoln Test Drive Event- Oct. 28, 2017 from 9 AM to 3 PM at 360 Vila Street, Winona - outside of the John Nett Recreation Center doors
- Fall Frozen Foods
- Holiday Plants Sale
- Lasagna Dinner - January 28, 2018 from 4 to 6:30 PM at the Winona Elks Club
- Spring Plant Sale
- Spring Frozen Foods
Cotter High School and Junior High School have multiple options for choir involvement for students grades 7 through 12. Options include participation in two choirs, show choirs, music listening team and performances in musical theater. All students are welcome and encouraged to participate in the choir program.
Concert Choir is for students grades 9 through 12. Each student receives 1 credit, and each class meets four days per week for a full class period. The choir performs at many concerts and events during the school year. Additional opportunities for choral performance include large group music contest and solo-ensemble music contest. Singers are required to have an individual lesson once per week.
- Aug. 30 - Show Choir Auditions 6:30 PM - Choir Room
- Sept. 19 - Show Choir to “In The Heights” 11:00 AM Ordway
- Oct. 21 - UW-EC Honors Choir Festival - All day - UW-Eau Claire
- Oct. 28 - Show Choir “Goes Green” recycling fundraiser, 9-3:00 PM
- Nov. 13 - Three Rivers All-Conference Choir, 7:00 PM
- Nov. 10-12 - CHS Musical 7:00/3:00 St. Cecilia
- Nov. 15 - Founder’s Day – Show Choir
- Dec. 1-2 - WSU Honors Choir
- Dec. 2 - WSU Honors Choir Concert &“Messiah” Sing-In – WSU
- Dec. 7* - CHS Choir Christmas Concert 7:30 PM Chapel
- Dec. 11** - Cotter Junior High Concert 7:00 PM St. Cecilia
- Dec. 11-15* - Community Caroling - Nursing Homes, Banks, etc
- Jan. 14-15 - Dorian Choir Festival Luther Decorah, IA
- Jan. 15 - Dorian Choir Concert 7:00 PM Ctr. For Faith & Life
- Jan. 19 - Music Listening Contest 1:00 PM Regional-WSU
- Feb. 2 - Catholic Schools Mass 9:30 AM St. Stan's
- Feb. 22-24 - MMEA (Minnesota Music Educators’ Association)
- Feb. 24 - MMEA All-State Choir Concert 10:00 AM – Orchestra Hall
- March 15* - High School Spring Choir Concert 7:00 PM St. Cecilia
- March 20* - MSHSL Large Group Contest All day – Cotter
- March 22** - Jr. High Spring Concert 7:00 PM St. Cecilia
- March 23-25 - Show Choir Trip Mpls
- April 11 - MSHSL Sub-Section Solo-Ensemble 4:00 PM Wabasha
- April 29 - Show Choir Concert 6:00 PM St. Cecilia
- May 10* - Pops Concert 7:30 PM Gym
- May 17** - Junior High Pops Concert 7:00 PM Gym
- May 27* - Graduation Cotter Gym
*Mandatory – CHS
**Mandatory - CJHS
This volunteer parent/family group supports choral students, choir and small ensemble singing activities, and fundraisers throughout the school year. Everyone is welcome at meetings, and everyone is welcome to join! Become a part of the support for our choir students and director. Contact Cathy Snyder for further information.