Frequently Asked Questions
Here you will find the answers to the most frequently asked questions in regards to becoming a Cotter student in our boarding program. Student policies for both school and the dorm can be found in the Cotter student handbook and Cotter boarding student handbook. These handbooks are given to students at the beginning of the fall semester.
VALUES: As a learning community, Cotter students and faculty have as their primary focus the academic growth of the student. Distractions such as dress, behavior, and class interruptions are to be minimized. A clear, consistently enforced dress code ensures that the focus remains on academics for all involved.
Students are to be neat, clean, modest, and respectful in their attire, reflecting a positive self-image. Hair is to be well groomed, no facial hair allowed, and no other visible body piercings (other than earrings) or tattoos are permitted.
Dress Code Tops for All Students:
- Short or long sleeve solid white, black, royal blue or navy blue polo or oxford shirt
- Any logo must be 4’’x 4’’ or smaller
- Solid white, black, royal blue, or navy blue crew neck, quarter-zip, v-neck or cardigan sweater or sweatshirt may be worn over the shirt.
Dress Code Pants and Shorts for All Students:
- Khaki, navy or black casual dress pants (chinos, Dockers, etc.)
- Khaki, navy or black casual dress shorts (knee length or slightly above)
Dress Code Skirts and Skorts for Females:
- Khaki, navy or black skirt or skort (knee length or slightly above)
- White, navy or black leggings or tights may be worn under skirts or skorts.
- Shoes, sandals, or boots must be worn at all times. Sandals must have a back strap.
Spirit Day Dress on Fridays:
- Students will be allowed to wear Cotter Sports and Activities apparel tops or sweatshirts with dress code pants, shorts, skirts or skorts.
Dress-Up Days on Mass Days:
- All-school mass days will be designated as dress-up days. Students can choose to wear dress code clothing or other clothing appropriate for worship (dresses, skirts, dress shirts, ties, etc.) Students must be neat, clean and modest in their appearance. Low-cut necklines, open backs, spaghetti straps, or bare shoulders are not permitted.
Students may not wear jeans, sweatpants, leggings, jeggings, yoga pants, athletics shorts or pants, flannel pants, other form-fitting pants, spandex shorts, hoodies, jackets, backless shoes, slippers, or any apparel with holes or rips.
Dress code clothing may be purchased from any store. Please consult the Academics Page on the Cotter Schools website for examples of the dress code and additional information.
Consequences for Dress Code Violations:
- First Offense - Verbal warning and white card. Students may be asked to change clothing.
- Second Offense - Detention. Students may be asked to change clothing.
- Third Offense - Detention and meeting with Administration. Students may be asked to change clothing.
- Fourth Offense - Saturday detention and fee of $20.00. Students may be asked to change clothing.
- Five or more - Meeting with Student, Parents and Administration to address behavior and develop plan. Students may be asked to change clothing.
The Cotter Residence Center staff will provide students with transportation to and from the LaCrosse, WI (LSE) and Rochester, MN (RST) airports only. Students should make every effort to schedule travel through these airports.
The Minneapolis /St. Paul International airport (MSP) is located three hours north of Winona. One option is to travel with the Go Carefree Shuttle, www.gocarefreeshuttle.com. The cost for a one way ticket from the Minneapolis airport is about $45.00. The departure times may vary, but they typically are scheduled to depart from Winona to Minneapolis at 6:30 a.m. and 9:15 a.m. and 3:15 pm from the Minneapolis airport to Winona. The reservation number is +1.888.781.5181 and email is email@example.com.
Cotter observes standard American national holidays and a variety of scheduled days off and early dismissal days throughout the school year. These dates are listed in the yearly academic calendar below. Emergency closings are announced on local media stations and posted on the Cotter website. The Cotter Residence Center is closed during the two-three week holiday break in December. The Cotter Residence Center is open all other days throughout the academic year including Thanksgiving and spring break. Special activities and school sponsored trips are planned for the students during these times or students are welcome to travel home or to visit family and friends.
Christmas/Holiday Break - Please Plan Ahead
The Residence Center only closes once during the school year for our Christmas/Holiday break (the end of December into early January). Boarding students are not allowed to stay at the Residence Center at this time. Students often travel home or visit family and friends during this break. Cotter Schools does not coordinate home stays so please plan ahead. Holiday travel plans need to be communicated to the Residence Center staff.
2018-2019 Important Dates for Travel Plans
- August 2 - August 3, 2018: New students attending Cotter Connect Academy arrive.
- August 10 - August 13, 2018: New students who are NOT attending Cotter Connect Academy and returners in fall sports arrive.
- August 13, 2018: Fall sports practices start.
- August 17 - August 19, 2018: Returning students arrive.
- August 20, 2018: First day of school.
- December 20 - December 22, 2018: Boarding students leave for Christmas break.
- December 22, 2018: Dorm closes at 3:00pm for Christmas break.
- January 4, 2019: Dorm opens at 12:00pm.
- January 4 - January 6, 2019: Boarding students return from Christmas break.
- January 7, 2019: First day of second semester.
- May 21 - May 23, 2019: Final exams.
- May 24, 2019: Graduation (All students in band and choir must attend graduation).
- May 23 - May 26, 2019: Boarding students leave for summer break.
- May 26, 2019: Dorm closes for the summer at 3:00 p.m.
Please address all correspondence and package delivery to:
Cotter Residence Center
365 Hilbert Street
Winona, MN 55987 USA
FREQUENTLY CALLED NUMBERS
Cotter Admissions +1.507.453.5113
Cotter Residence Center +1.507.453.5605
Cotter High School Main Office +1.507.453.5000
For all other questions regarding the boarding program, please contact Mrs. Mandi Olson, Director of International Admissions.