Cotter High School and Junior High School have a long tradition of outstanding instrumental music ensembles. Each year the bands receive many awards and accolades for their performances. There are several ensembles that students may participate in and all students are welcome and encouraged to participate in the band program.
- Junior High Band
- Symphonic Band & Ensembles
- Marching Band
- Calendar of Events
- Band Boosters
The Cotter Junior High Band program consists of three ensembles: Concert Band, Marching Band, and Jazz Band. These groups may be found performing year round throughout Winona and as far away as the Twin Cities. In our ensemble classes, students not only learn how to play their instruments and read music, but learn the value of music in our world, how to work as a team, become critical thinkers and listeners, and how to make independent musical decisions. Our ensembles are open to students of all ability levels, whether they have never played an instrument before to those who have been reading music for years. All students receive weekly lessons on their instrument to provide an extra musical challenge, as well as to develop skills in areas that are needed.
Cotter High School Bands
Symphonic Band is for students in grades 9-12. Each student receives one credit and each class meets 4 days/week for a full period. The bands perform at many concerts and events during the year. All performances are mandatory and each student is encouraged to participate in the Sub-Section Solo and Ensemble Contests.
Membership in jazz ensemble is by audition. The group meets two to three days a week in the morning before school. Students receive a ¼ of a credit and a grade for the ensemble. Attendance at rehearsals is mandatory. The ensemble performs at several concerts and festivals during the year and attendance at the performances are also mandatory.
Jazz combos are available to any Cotter High School student. The combos meet in the mornings before school. The day of rehearsal depends on which combo the student is in. Combos are an extra-curricular activity, however, all members are expected to participate in all scheduled performances. The combos perform several times during the year usually in conjunction with the jazz ensemble performances.
The pep band is comprised of all students in the Symphonic band. The pep band plays for football and basketball (boys and girls) games during the year. While all performances are required, any band member who is a member of the team for which the pep band is playing would be excused from that performance.
Cotter students participate in several area honor bands during the school year. Membership in an honor band is by recommendation of the band director and being accepted by the organization that sponsors each band.
The fall season has begun! We will rehearse from 7:30am- 8:30 am at Cotter fields on Monday, Tuesday, and Friday from now until Homecoming on Oct. 5. Students should be on time, with instrument and coordinate charts, ready to work!
The parade marching unit is a highly recommended extra-curricular organization that practices and performs during the months of June and early July. The band performs in several competitive parades and takes an out-of-state trip each summer. Recent destinations have included Colorado, St. Louis, Chicago, Michigan and Calgary, Canada.
SUmmer 2018 schedule
- May 29-June 1 - Band Camp
- June 1 - Band Picnic/Preview Show
- June 4-29 - Practice Monday-Friday 9:30am-12pm
- June 14 - Flag Day
- June 15 - Lake Crystal
- June 16 - Owatonna/Waconia
- June 17 - Steamboat Days
- June 22 - Sauk Rapids
- June 23 - St. Cloud
- June 24 - Alexandria
- July 3-8 - Traverse City, MI
- Lake Crystal- 1st- 69.0
- Owatonna- 4th- 64.7
- Waconia- 1st- 63.2, Best Percussion & Color Guard
- Winona Steamboat Days- Host
- Sauk Rapids- 2nd- 75.9
- St. Cloud- 4th- 74.9
- Alexandria- 2nd- 68.7
- Traverse City, MI-
2018 Pep Band Calendar
One event may be missed per year. Playoff games TBA
Football (All Fridays)
September 7- 7pm @ WSU- Fri
September 21- 7pm @ WSU- Fri
Oct. 5- 7pm @ WSU- Fri (Homecoming!!)
Jan. 8- 7:00 boys- Tues
Jan. 15- 7:30 girls- Tues
Jan 22-7:30 girls- Tues
Jan 29- 7:30 boys- Tues
Feb. 5- 7:30 boys- Tues
Feb 19- 7:30 boys- Tues
Meetings are held the Second Wednesday of the month at 7:00 pm, in room 210 by Mr. Meurer's office- 2nd floor St. Cecilia Theatre. Enter through the Theatre Lobby doors, and head upstairs! See you there!
The Band Boosters offer various fundraisers throughout the school year to support the costs of the Marching Band program. Students can earn credit toward the cost of the summer band trip through individual sales. Group fundraising events will support the program as a whole and are used for uniforms, equipment, and to help offset trip expenses. We greatly encourage you to attend our meetings, and make your opinion heard!
Fundraisers for 2018-19
- Steamboat Days Chicken Q - June 17, 2018 (Chairs - Kim and Barry McRaith)
- Ashley for the Arts - August 19-11, 2018 (Chairs - Peggy Duellman, Anne Besek)
- Ford Test Drive Event- Oct. 27, 2018 from 9 AM to 3 PM at 360 Vila Street, Winona - outside of the John Nett Recreation Center doors
- Fall Frozen Foods
- Holiday Plants Sale
- Lasagna Dinner - January 27, 2019 from 4 to 6:30 PM at the Winona Elks Club
- Spring Plant Sale
- Spring Frozen Foods
Cotter High School and Junior High School have multiple options for choir involvement for students grades 7 through 12. Options include participation in two choirs, show choirs, music listening team and performances in musical theater. All students are welcome and encouraged to participate in the choir program.
Concert Choir is for students grades 9 through 12. Each student receives 1 credit, and each class meets four days per week for a full class period. The choir performs at many concerts and events during the school year. Additional opportunities for choral performance include large group music contest and solo-ensemble music contest. Singers are required to have an individual lesson once per week.
- Aug. 30 - Show Choir Auditions 6:30 PM - Choir Room
- Sept. 19 - Show Choir to “In The Heights” 11:00 AM Ordway
- Oct. 21 - UW-EC Honors Choir Festival - All day - UW-Eau Claire
- Oct. 28 - Show Choir “Goes Green” recycling fundraiser, 9-3:00 PM
- Nov. 13 - Three Rivers All-Conference Choir, 7:00 PM
- Nov. 10-12 - CHS Musical 7:00/3:00 St. Cecilia
- Nov. 15 - Founder’s Day – Show Choir
- Dec. 1-2 - WSU Honors Choir
- Dec. 2 - WSU Honors Choir Concert &“Messiah” Sing-In – WSU
- Dec. 7* - CHS Choir Christmas Concert 7:30 PM Chapel
- Dec. 11** - Cotter Junior High Concert 7:00 PM St. Cecilia
- Dec. 11-15* - Community Caroling - Nursing Homes, Banks, etc
- Jan. 14-15 - Dorian Choir Festival Luther Decorah, IA
- Jan. 15 - Dorian Choir Concert 7:00 PM Ctr. For Faith & Life
- Jan. 19 - Music Listening Contest 1:00 PM Regional-WSU
- Feb. 2 - Catholic Schools Mass 9:30 AM St. Stan's
- Feb. 22-24 - MMEA (Minnesota Music Educators’ Association)
- Feb. 24 - MMEA All-State Choir Concert 10:00 AM – Orchestra Hall
- March 15* - High School Spring Choir Concert 7:00 PM St. Cecilia
- March 20* - MSHSL Large Group Contest All day – Cotter
- March 22** - Jr. High Spring Concert 7:00 PM St. Cecilia
- March 23-25 - Show Choir Trip Mpls
- April 12 - MSHSL Sub-Section Solo-Ensemble 4:00 PM Wabasha-Kellogg
- April 29 - Show Choir Concert 6:00 PM St. Cecilia
- May 10* - Pops Concert 7:30 PM Gym
- May 17** - Junior High Pops Concert 7:00 PM Gym
- May 27* - Graduation Cotter Gym
*Mandatory – CHS
**Mandatory - CJHS
This volunteer parent/family group supports choral students, choir and small ensemble singing activities, and fundraisers throughout the school year. Everyone is welcome at meetings, and everyone is welcome to join! Become a part of the support for our choir students and director. Contact Cathy Snyder for further information.